Recipes for Murder Mountain
Appetizer Round Hawaiian Wontons
INGREDIENTS (for larger servings, double the recipe)
1 quart oil for deep frying
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (12 ounce) package imitation crabmeat, flaked
1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
5 green onions, chopped
2 (14 ounce) packages wonton wrappers
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, soy sauce, imitation crabmeat, water chestnuts and
- green onions.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each wonton
- wrapper. Fold into triangles and seal edges with moistened fingers.
- In small batches, fry the wontons in the hot oil 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on
- paper towels.
Soup/Salad Round Mandarin Almond Salad
1 head romaine lettuce – rinsed, dried and chopped
2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
6 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, oranges and green onions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with the almonds in saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir
- while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds. Stir constantly until almonds are light brown.
- Turn onto a plate, and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, one tablespoon sugar, red pepper flakes and black pepper
- in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved.
- Before serving, toss lettuce with salad dressing until coated. Transfer to a decorative serving
- bowl, and sprinkle with sugared almonds.
Entree Round – Option#1 Spicy Polynesian Wraps
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch strips
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder (or cumin for milder flavor)
1 tablespoon garlic salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Place the chicken and coconut milk in a bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, curry powder, and garlic salt. Drain the chicken, and discard marinade.
- Dredge chicken in the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the coated chicken strips 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and juices run clear. Squeeze lime juice over chicken, and discard limes. On each tortilla, place equal amounts of rice, chicken, coconut, and greenonions.
- Wrap burrito style.
Entree Round (Side Dish) Buttered Vegetables Almondine
2/3 cup butter
1-1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
1-1/4 teaspoons garlic pepper
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons white wine
1-1/3 medium onion, chopped
1-1/3 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2-2/3 cups chopped broccoli
2-2/3 cups chopped cauliflower
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Season with garlic salt and garlic pepper.
- Mix in almonds and cook until golden brown. Stir in wine, onion, red bell pepper, broccoli and cauliflower. Cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Entree Round – Option#2 Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons sherry
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 2 inch pieces
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, and
- garlic powder.
- Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated.
- Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers.
- Grill 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until chicken juices run clear.
Dessert Round Mountain Dew™ Cake
1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
10 fluid ounces Mountain Dew ™
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup butter
1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs and citrus soda. Mix until all ingredients are moistened.
- Pour into prepared 9×13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the topping: In a saucepan, combine pineapple (with juice), sugar and corn starch. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and coconut. Spread topping evenly over cake.
Cookie Recipe Super Samoa Cookies (To be divided amongst winners of Best Sleuth, Best Thespian, & Best Costume)
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Karo light corn syrup
1/2 of a 14 ounce can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups toasted coconut
1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- To toast coconut: Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium-low heat, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup.
- Heat to a full boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour in Eagle Brand milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking over low heat until candy thermometer reaches 220-228 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Beat until creamy. Immediately stir in toasted coconut and mix well.
- Spoon by tablespoonfuls into circular mounds onto buttered wax paper. Flatten slightly.
- With the end of a wooden spoon, poke a small round hole into the center of each cookie.
- Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle thinly in stripes over cookies. Let chocolate harden at room temperature.
- Store in a airtight container.